Sunday, December 9, 2012

I'm Nobody! Who are you? by Emily Dickenson

I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you -- Nobody -- Too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise -- you know!

How dreary -- to be -- Somebody!
How public -- like a Frog --
To tell one's name -- the livelong June --
To an admiring Bog!

I love this poem. One because I have it memorized and two, it is a fun poem.  This poem sparks a longing to remain unknown, and a jealousy of those who are unknown.  It shows this through the line "how dreary to be somebody."  This poem makes you rethink the want to be a celebrity. As I read this poem I feel that being "nobody" makes you unique because your life is not "public like a frog."

As you read this poem, ponder what it means to you and reflect on what you want most. What comes to mind may surprise you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment